Pages

Wednesday 13 April 2011

Marae Trip

On Wednesday the 6th of April we went to Orakei Marae. We got on the bus and when we arrived there, Ms Hansell told us to stand in a line. It was only the senior syndicate that went. We had to stand in a line and wait outside so the Tangata Whenua could let us in. Before we went into the marae, we waited by a little little building. Then Ms Hansell told us to be respectful. When we went in I thought that the man and woman would welcome us, but it was the little kids that welcomed us. I was suprised that the little kids welcomed us. I said to myself “That is good the little kids are welcoming, so when they grow big they could welcome other people.”

OK, back to the story. When they we went in the marae we took our shoes off then we went in the marae. It was cool inside. Matua the old man was speaking moari to us. I said I to myself “I can’t speak moari but it’s cool.” I liked it when he finished. We had to sing Mihi Mai Ra. After we finished, Matua told a us a story about the olden days. He said ‘’When Queen Elizabeth was coming to New Zealand the goverment said “Let’s get read of that village. So that’s what they did. They took some of the Moari tribe out of there so queen Elizabeth would say “What a good beach.” After they moved up the mountain. They had no marae.

We went to get our bags. I took my morning tea out. When I finished my morning tea, we played games, then we went in the bottom of the house and we practiced the boys haka. It was cool. We learnt the All Blacks’ haka. It was fun doing the haka. Then we had 5 muintes play time.

Then we had our lunch. I had hotdogs. It was yum. Then we went back to the marae to show what we had learnt in the morning. The girls were the first to show what they had done in the morning, then it was our turn to show what we had done. Then we finished our turn. Then we went back to school on the bus.

3 comments:

  1. Great recount Brian. Nice to see you using some really clever sentence starters. It sounds like you all had a fantastic time.

    Keep up the great writing and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    Miss G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job
    Brian
    you did well
    Your bud bud
    Jayden

    ReplyDelete